Search Engine Optimization refers to the process involved in making improvements and changes to web pages so that they conform to the SEARCH CRITERIA utilized by search engines to rank and position listings. It is one of the most effective web site promotion techniques. Understanding the basic structure of how search engines index and returns websites is paramount to Search Engine Optimization success.
Important Factors To Consider About Search Engine Spiders (Robots).
Spiders’ are used by search engines to locate, index, rank, and list their findings. Here’s a few things to keep in mind about them:
Most indexing spiders can only read text Depending on the format, they have great difficulty with dynamic, asp, Cold Fusion, Flash, multiple redirects, tables and code such as Java Script. If it’s not text based or they can’t access the text, spiders won’t see it
They determine ranking based on where you place your prime “keyword phrases”, like “Internet Marketing Arizona” i.e. the terms used to conduct a search They take into consideration criteria such as keyword frequency, prominence, weight and proximity, plus keyword placement within the HTML They like “content rich” or thematic text (sufficient enough to support the primary keyword phrase) about your products/ services and use this to determine how relevant the page is to a searcher’s request
Search Engine Friendly Websites Search Engine Optimization involves making websites friendly to ‘what the spiders see.’ There are many factors to consider when optimizing a web site, some of which are:
- Head, title, and meta tags (include descriptions, keywords, and copyright info)
- Incorporating body text that supports targeted keywords
- Converting dynamic web pages (asp, jsp) to allow for reading by search engine robots/spiders.
- Reducing source code without compromising web site functionality
- Improving/ fixing html code, and broken links and tags
- Ensuring sufficient keyword concentration and placement on a page
- Rewriting or copy writing to ensure the content supports the keyword phrases